Connect with us

Health & Fitness

Tripura: Over 40 % screened population suffering from anemia



4,429 people were screened across the state in last one week, of which 1,899 of them were found to be suffering from anemia

Agartala: The dream of Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb to make the state anemia-free does not seem to be easily achievable as the number of cases found in the last one week test has undoubtedly raised concern.

A total of 4,429 people were tested across the state, of which 1,899 of them were found to be suffering from anemia till July 8.

Tripura has started screening people as part of the ‘Anemia Mukt Bharat’ programme during which about 1,799 people were suffering from anemia, which is 40.6 percent of the total tested population. Unakoti district has the highest number of anemic patients among the eight districts of the state.

State Nodal officer for Anemia Mukt Tripura, Dr Mousumi Sarkar said that the screening of the mass began on July 1 and it would continue across the state.

The Tripura government has taken initiative to become an anemia-free state. The National Health Mission (NHM) and the Tripura government’s health department are holding meetings across the state.

The test is being done in Tripura in two ways—Sahils method and Hemoglobin method (HB). Samples of 2,905 people were tested using Sahil’s method and 2006 people were tested with digital HB meters. Of these, 1,034 were slightly infected, while 710 were moderately infected and 55 were severely infected.

A detailed report from the health department informed that it was found that in the sample examination of 2,200 people in the West district, 34.9 per cent of the sample size of 768 people, in the sample test of 71 people in Dhalai district, 53.5 per cent were positive, in South Tripura 909 people were screened of which 49.4 per cent.

Similarly, of the sample size of 75 people, 70.7 per cent were positive, in the sample test of 298 people in North Tripura district, a total of 140 people which is 47 per cent were positive, in Khowai district it was 21.4 per cent in the sample test of 126 people, in Sepahijala 37.7 per cent of the total 589 tested people were positive and in Gomati district, 164 people were diagnosed with anemia at the rate of 62.8 per cent were found to be suffering from anemia.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health & Fitness

Delhi hospital saves 2 patients who accidentally ingested sanitiser



New Delhi, Oct 8: Two patients who accidentally ingested sanitiser mistaking it for water, rendering them unable to swallow food and water for months, were given a new lease of life after doctors at Fortis Hospital here performed an oesophageal reconstructive surgery.

A 24-year-old boy, hailing from Karnataka accidentally ingested sanitiser four months back. Treatment at local hospital inserted a pipe in his intestine and he was fed with liquids via the pipe.

On admission at Fortis Shalimar Bagh, he was found to have complete scarring and obstruction of the entire food pipe and portion of the small intestine and stomach. Doctors performed a reconstructive surgery, where a portion of his small and large intestine was used to create a new food pipe.

The surgery lasted for more than five hours post which the patient was kept under observation. The patient has recovered very well and is now able to eat normal food, said Dr Amit Javed, Director, Laparoscopic and Minimal Access Surgery, Fortis Hospital Vasant Kunj and Shalimar Bagh, in a statement.

In a separate case, a 20-year-old girl from Kashmir, also ingested sanitiser accidentally. She was even unable to swallow her saliva, and had become emaciated from malnutrition and lost a lot of weight.

Her survival was dependent on glucose which was being given to her intravenously.

The challenging surgery lasted for more than six hours as the patient suffered from severe burns and scarring in her throat and stricture (an abnormal tightening of the oesophagus) in her food pipe. Doctors reconstructed a new food passage by using a part of her stomach and intestine.

She has recovered well, the doctor said.

According to Javed, an oesophageal reconstructive surgery done by the laparoscopic technique can be a hope for patients with damaged food pipes.

“Corrosives are irritant substances which when ingested either intentionally or by accident results in severe burns of the oesophagus (food pipe) and the stomach. Early symptoms include difficulty in breathing, hoarseness of voice, mouth and throat pain, drooling of saliva, vomiting and abdominal pain. In severe cases, there can be perforation of the oesophagus and the stomach,” Javed explained.

However, as the acute injury heals, there are formation of strictures, which results in narrowing of the food passage and leads to obstruction. The unfortunate patient is unable to eat food and drink water. In severe cases, the patient is unable to swallow their own saliva.

The treatment involves initial sessions of endoscopic dilatations.

“In patients who have tight strictures, long length of strictures or in those where endoscopic dilatation is not successful, a surgery is done to create a new food pipe. This new food pipe can be reconstructed using either the stomach or portion of the large intestine. It is a complex surgery. We routinely perform this surgery by the laparoscopic technique which results in excellent functional results and very good cosmesis. The patient is able to eat and drink a normal diet,” Javed said.

Continue Reading

Health & Fitness

Gurugram: Notice to 11,311 households for larvae-breeding



Gurugram, Oct 7: To prevent the outbreak of mosquito-borne diseases, the district Health Department in collaboration with the district administration examined over 22.70 lakh households and issued notices to 11,311 households where mosquito larvae were found.

Civil Surgeon Gurugram, Dr Virender Yadav said that so far 1,897 samples of dengue have been sent for testing in the district, out of which 83 dengue and two malaria patients have been confirmed.

Yadav informed that more than two lakh people have been tested so far. The team of the health department is also running a campaign for the prevention of mosquito-borne diseases.

“The team is carrying out anti-larva activities under which Temephos medicine is being sprayed at mosquito prone areas. Gambusia fish is very effective in preventing the breeding of mosquitoes, keeping this in mind the health department, in collaboration with the fisheries department, has put seeds of gambusia fish in 173 reservoirs located in the district,” Yadav said.

Health officials said for the prevention of mosquito-borne diseases in the district, area wise fogging is being done through 56 machines. They said for fogging, the helpline numbers of the Municipal Corporation Gurugram (MCG) can be contacted on 18001801817 and 0124-44055779.

Apart from this, free testing and treatment of dengue, malaria and chikungunya are available in Sector-31 Polyclinic and Sector-10 Civil Hospital.

Instructions have been given not to charge more than Rs 600 for NS-1 and LGI test for Chikungunya and Rs 1,000 for test for dengue. Action will be taken against the concerned hospitals for violating this,” said a health official.

Continue Reading

Health & Fitness

Gambusia fish to check mosquito-borne diseases in UP district



Amroha (Uttar Pradesh), Oct 6: The Amroha district administration has decided to release 7,000 gambusia or mosquito fish in drains in the populated areas to check the spread of dengue and malaria.

According to Amroha chief medical officer Sanjay Agarwal, mosquito fish, generically known as Gambusia, eat larvae of dengue-breeding mosquitoes.

Health officials claim that these fishes will check the spread of viral fever in the district.

According to health department statistics, over 300 patients have been diagnosed with viral fever, 17 with malaria and 32 with dengue in the past one and half month.

The district administration is also carrying out a door-to-door survey to ask the people to drain out stagnant water from coolers, pots and other utensils.

Continue Reading