Connect with us

Health & Fitness

2 health workers show Nipah symptoms in Kerala’s Kozhikode

Published

on

Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 5: After a 12-year-old boy succumbed to Nipah virus attack on Sunday, two health workers who were in contact with the boy are now under surveillance.

State health minister Veena George, who reached Kozhikode in the morning along with state PWD minister P.A. Mohammed Riyaz and state Transport minister A.K. Saseendran held a meeting of the health, revenue and police officials to review the situation.

The review meeting mainly revolved around the steps to be taken to manage the situation arising after the death of the 12 year-old boy and the return of Nipah after it was contained in the state on June 10, 2018.

In the last Nipah attack in 2018, 17 people had lost their lives and the government and health department are now not taking any chances.

According to the health department officials, two health officials, who were on the contact list of the boy, have developed symptoms of the virus. A total of 188 people are in the contact list and 20 of these are from the index list or high-risk category.

State Health Minister Veena George told media persons that one of the health workers is from the Kozhikode Government Medical College hospital and the other is from the private hospital where the boy was treated earlier.

The health Minister while speaking to the media persons after the review meeting at the Kozhikode government guest house said, “There is no reason to worry but have to be highly alert. A ward at the Kozhikode Government Medical College has already been converted to Nipah ward and a control room is opened.”

She said that the three-storied pay ward at the Kozhikode Government Medical College will be allotted for Nipah and high-risk patients and the health workers will be soon shifted in that facility. The minister also said that a team from National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune will reach Kozhikode soon and set up a virology lab at Kozhikode Government Medical College hospital. This lab is for initial screening for Nipah virus.

The minister also said that medical teams are visiting Chathamangalam panchayath to find out the contact source of the disease. She said that all necessary precautions were taken by Saturday evening itself before the test result of the child was announced.

Meanwhile the authorities have declared a high alert in Kozhikode district. The roads within 3 km of the residence of the deceased boy were cordoned off with a heavy police posse being deployed for duty.

The health department has already closed Ward no 9 of Chathamangalam panchayath and restrictions imposed in wards 8, 10, and 12.

The staff of the local hospital at Omassery in Kozhikode district where the child was first taken for consultation after he developed fever are also put under alert.

Health authorities have already informed the local people to immediately report any instances of fever, vomiting and other health ailments.

Continue Reading

Health & Fitness

Delhi hospital saves 2 patients who accidentally ingested sanitiser

Published

on

New Delhi, Oct 8: Two patients who accidentally ingested sanitiser mistaking it for water, rendering them unable to swallow food and water for months, were given a new lease of life after doctors at Fortis Hospital here performed an oesophageal reconstructive surgery.

A 24-year-old boy, hailing from Karnataka accidentally ingested sanitiser four months back. Treatment at local hospital inserted a pipe in his intestine and he was fed with liquids via the pipe.

On admission at Fortis Shalimar Bagh, he was found to have complete scarring and obstruction of the entire food pipe and portion of the small intestine and stomach. Doctors performed a reconstructive surgery, where a portion of his small and large intestine was used to create a new food pipe.

The surgery lasted for more than five hours post which the patient was kept under observation. The patient has recovered very well and is now able to eat normal food, said Dr Amit Javed, Director, Laparoscopic and Minimal Access Surgery, Fortis Hospital Vasant Kunj and Shalimar Bagh, in a statement.

In a separate case, a 20-year-old girl from Kashmir, also ingested sanitiser accidentally. She was even unable to swallow her saliva, and had become emaciated from malnutrition and lost a lot of weight.

Her survival was dependent on glucose which was being given to her intravenously.

The challenging surgery lasted for more than six hours as the patient suffered from severe burns and scarring in her throat and stricture (an abnormal tightening of the oesophagus) in her food pipe. Doctors reconstructed a new food passage by using a part of her stomach and intestine.

She has recovered well, the doctor said.

According to Javed, an oesophageal reconstructive surgery done by the laparoscopic technique can be a hope for patients with damaged food pipes.

“Corrosives are irritant substances which when ingested either intentionally or by accident results in severe burns of the oesophagus (food pipe) and the stomach. Early symptoms include difficulty in breathing, hoarseness of voice, mouth and throat pain, drooling of saliva, vomiting and abdominal pain. In severe cases, there can be perforation of the oesophagus and the stomach,” Javed explained.

However, as the acute injury heals, there are formation of strictures, which results in narrowing of the food passage and leads to obstruction. The unfortunate patient is unable to eat food and drink water. In severe cases, the patient is unable to swallow their own saliva.

The treatment involves initial sessions of endoscopic dilatations.

“In patients who have tight strictures, long length of strictures or in those where endoscopic dilatation is not successful, a surgery is done to create a new food pipe. This new food pipe can be reconstructed using either the stomach or portion of the large intestine. It is a complex surgery. We routinely perform this surgery by the laparoscopic technique which results in excellent functional results and very good cosmesis. The patient is able to eat and drink a normal diet,” Javed said.

Continue Reading

Health & Fitness

Gurugram: Notice to 11,311 households for larvae-breeding

Published

on

Gurugram, Oct 7: To prevent the outbreak of mosquito-borne diseases, the district Health Department in collaboration with the district administration examined over 22.70 lakh households and issued notices to 11,311 households where mosquito larvae were found.

Civil Surgeon Gurugram, Dr Virender Yadav said that so far 1,897 samples of dengue have been sent for testing in the district, out of which 83 dengue and two malaria patients have been confirmed.

Yadav informed that more than two lakh people have been tested so far. The team of the health department is also running a campaign for the prevention of mosquito-borne diseases.

“The team is carrying out anti-larva activities under which Temephos medicine is being sprayed at mosquito prone areas. Gambusia fish is very effective in preventing the breeding of mosquitoes, keeping this in mind the health department, in collaboration with the fisheries department, has put seeds of gambusia fish in 173 reservoirs located in the district,” Yadav said.

Health officials said for the prevention of mosquito-borne diseases in the district, area wise fogging is being done through 56 machines. They said for fogging, the helpline numbers of the Municipal Corporation Gurugram (MCG) can be contacted on 18001801817 and 0124-44055779.

Apart from this, free testing and treatment of dengue, malaria and chikungunya are available in Sector-31 Polyclinic and Sector-10 Civil Hospital.

Instructions have been given not to charge more than Rs 600 for NS-1 and LGI test for Chikungunya and Rs 1,000 for test for dengue. Action will be taken against the concerned hospitals for violating this,” said a health official.

Continue Reading

Health & Fitness

Gambusia fish to check mosquito-borne diseases in UP district

Published

on

Amroha (Uttar Pradesh), Oct 6: The Amroha district administration has decided to release 7,000 gambusia or mosquito fish in drains in the populated areas to check the spread of dengue and malaria.

According to Amroha chief medical officer Sanjay Agarwal, mosquito fish, generically known as Gambusia, eat larvae of dengue-breeding mosquitoes.

Health officials claim that these fishes will check the spread of viral fever in the district.

According to health department statistics, over 300 patients have been diagnosed with viral fever, 17 with malaria and 32 with dengue in the past one and half month.

The district administration is also carrying out a door-to-door survey to ask the people to drain out stagnant water from coolers, pots and other utensils.

Continue Reading

Trending